Thursday, October 7, 2010

I learned how to tie knots in Boy Scouts!

Remember that music video I mentioned in my last post.  Well, here it is... Pull the Plug.  Do you see me?  I advise you to squint your eyes and cock your head sideways.




I actually got to drive the getaway car.  It's kind of interesting maneuvering the car with a cameraman squished in the seat next to you and trying to look hard and interacting with the singer all while making sure I didn't kill any of us.

When I first arrived to the set, the director came up to me and asked, "Can you drive?"  I nodded and replied:  "Are you asking me that because I'm Asian?" *laughter and a round of "OHHHHHs" in the room*

Director, looking a bit sheepish:  "Actually...yeah, we did discuss that factor".



AHAHAHA.  I wasn't offended.  I am capable and legally allowed to drive but yes, I do fall under the stereotype of a horrible Asian driver.  You SHOULD racially profile me.  I was also born with exceptional mathematical aptitude and amazing ninja skills, and catching bugs with chopsticks is second nature to me.

I have an audition tomorrow, and as I've been prepping, I've been reading a book about the audition process and "how to get the part".  I know it sounds cheesy, but it has been enlightening.  It mentions the success/failure syndrome, in which we sabotage ourselves by not preparing or making excuses because then we avoid TRULY trying and getting rejected.  Instead of having to admit, "I did the best that I could and I still didn't get it", you can use any variation of the following, "I wasn't ready...I didn't even try...I don't care" (Oooo, that's a good one!)  You can apply that to different aspects of our lives.  From athletic goals to career aspirations to applying to grad schools.  Or being so horrible at making pancakes that I decide that I don't reaaaaaally like pancakes, that they are silly little things, and I should never bother to make them again.  We can be our worst enemies!  Which reminds me that I should get back to my monologue instead of blogging away, watching episodes of The Hills, and googling images of disgusting things.  And as much as those are all worthwhile activities, I don't want it to be my own damn fault for losing a role.

I really need to remind myself to look to God for my strength and answers.  You may wonder, "Well, who ELSE would you look toward for guidance?"  I don't know.  I've seen what New York can do to a person.  You're a God-fearing Christian from the Bible Belt and the next thing you know, you're a fashion worshiping-Manhattanite.  Shoot, last night, I saw a pair of rocking Chanel boots that I could swear would bring me endless happiness.  But Chanel is a slippery slope, my friends.

Disclaimer:  I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I've never owned Chanel and don't personally know the euphoria that is supposedly affiliated with it.  Also, I much prefer the idea of God-loving to God-fearing Christians.


Next up:  My Homage to Truffle Oil.

2 comments: