Monday, December 19, 2011

Reality...Paranoia...whatever you want to call it.

I've always wanted to be like the grandfather who is like an ox, strong and the epitome of good health... despite the fact that he smokes way too many cigarettes and drinks entirely too much whiskey.

Not that I'm a smoker or drink whiskey by the bottle.

I just eat whatever I want, drink as much as I want, barely exercise, and suck at taking vitamins. So honestly, at this rate, I probably won't be the most healthy person when I reach hag-dom. I'm probably not the most healthy person NOW.

Why the sudden concern?





I've been reading a lot of books involving elderly people in retirement homes. In that kind of setting, it's not uncommon to be introduced to characters with Alzheimer's and other conditions resulting in dementia. The thought of being a burden on your family, not recognizing anyone, and just being a mush brain is terrifying. Or worse, what if your significant other gets Alzheimer's before you and you witness his/her deterioration?  My heart tore up when I watched "The Notebook" and the wife would have lucid moments followed by fear of her own husband because she didn't know who he was. I was bawling my eyes out.

Looming over me is also the fear of that happening to my mom. I imagine I would be crushed..CRUSHED...if it ever came down to my mom not being able to take care of herself or not knowing her own daughter.

This may all sound terribly depressing, but I guess it is also about awareness. I can only hope that people I know and I, myself, will be one of those cute, old, active people who go skiing at the age of 90. I want to be like Uncle Dick, who at 91, still lives on his own, makes funny jokes, and struts around with his girlfriend who is 24 years his junior. Sure, you think when you get that old, courting a much younger gammy doesn't seem to matter. But if you think about it, he is still a P.I.M.P.

We can do what we can to hold on to our health. Without that, we really have nothing. We can make the most of our youth and the time we have with our elders.

Let us take nothing for granted. Let us live fully. Hurrah! And dear God, please let me know moderation!

No comments:

Post a Comment