Monday, December 23, 2013

Outfit of the Day (Not Today) + How to Wear Heeled Booties Comfortably

This was my outfit on Thanksgiving. I decided to get dressed up for our classy ghetto taco night.  If you don't know what that is, think of those childhood boxed Ortega taco nights. Except we keep it organic. (my husband's request)


I don't know how these fashion bloggers do it. I felt a little silly taking photos in our building, but I thought, "Why not?" The staircase would be perfect for a Kardashian Christmas card parody. 


image via the guardian.com




This is how fluffy my hair gets straight out of the shower. 

Necklace: Washington DC Eastern market, Skirt: Club Monaco Sample Sale, Shirt: Express Portofino Sleeveless shirt with black lace panel on back.

Now let me tell you about the shoes. They were a Tibi Sample Sale find. You can't tell in the staircase photo, but the booties are detailed with white spots.  I love them, and they were such a great buy.

Vera Boots



This is me at the Tibi Sample Sale looking sad because there were too many temptations.  I'm not a big shopper, but I think it's mostly because I DON'T GO SHOPPING. If I went, I'd want everything. It's like being a sexaholic who should avoid strip clubs. I need to avoid the strip clubs. 

Anyway, sample sales are so much fun and remind me of "Sex and the City".  I've been to sample sales in LA, but the NY ones are where it's at...I was a little disappointed that I still haven't seen half naked women fighting over items though. 

So let's go back to the purchase.  As cute as the shoes are (to me), I don't have much experience wearing heels in the city.  I've worn them in LA, where I drove everywhere.  But not in Manhattan walking everywhere.

I decided to give these Tibi booties a test run on a dinner date.  After less than 3 hours, the balls of my feet were killing me. Did you know that as we grow older, we lose fat on the bottom of our feet?  Heels + less foot padding = HELL!

I learned my lesson.  Armed with some protection, I can now wear these booties without grimacing in pain. Here's how:

Profoot Bottom of Foot Cushion

Gel liners don't work for me.  But these, in addition to some Pillow Pod foot liners, prevented any ball of foot pain.  They are like super low socks with cushions for the balls of your feet.  I thought I'd be able to find photos of them online and a link, but they are nowhere to be found. I got them at TJ Maxx.  I packed the darn things in my suitcase already, but here's a photo I took of the label a couple of days ago.  I'll find out what the actual brand name is under that price sticker.  Whatever they are, they are fantastic foot savers!



Do you have any favorite foot cushions or insoles for surviving high heels?



No comments:

Post a Comment