Friday, November 13, 2015

How to Keep That Summer Glow Year Round

As I sit here in New York looking outside my window at the dreary, gray day, one thing keeps running through my mind.  Yup, the tagline to the ever binge-worthy show Game of Thrones:


image via hdhdwallpapers.com


And with winter comes scaly, pale, dry-as-bone (not unlike that guy above) skin.  

BUT that doesn't have to be the case. 

Here are my tips for keeping your face looking healthy and radiant.
Start from the inside! EAT your way to glowing skin.

Get your fruits and veggies in!

*Romaine lettuce-  It is an excellent source of Vitamin A, which increases skin turnover.  I've read that only 6 leaves of this good stuff meet the daily recommended intake of Vitamin A!  The mineral potassium in romaine also provides a boost of oxygen and nutrients from improving circulation.

*Tomatoes- Research suggests the high level of antioxidants in tomatoes increase collagen production, which prevents sagging. 


*Peppers- Hot peppers help combat free radicals, preventing the breakdown of collagen.  Red peppers contain almost 300% of your daily vitamin C intake. This antioxidant boosts the production of collagen fibers keeping skin firm and smooth.


*Berries- Strawberries are full of vitamin C. People who have less vitamin C intake are more inclined to have dry, wrinkled skin. The ellagic acid in strawberries also protects the elastic fibers which keep the skin from sagging.  Blueberries are antioxidant-rich and high in vitamin A and C.  They are known to clear up blotchy skin and acne.

You can easily incorporate the above into your diet with salads and fruit smoothies! Salads you can throw together with the veggie ingredients. I just add olive oil with salt and pepper to the mix.  For smoothies, I typically blend some ice, fruits, milk, yogurt, and honey. Here is my strawberry smoothie! 


If you're interested in making smoothies at home, there are various smoothie recipes online.  Here is a berry heavy one from Aloha!

The last dietary suggestion that I will recommend is salmon. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which nourish the skin by decreasing the body's production of inflammatory substances. This helps with clearing clogged pores. And the BIGGIE is that the fatty acids in salmon help strengthen your cell walls. The stronger your cell walls, the less porous they are. Which means your skin holds in more moisture!

Bye bye, dry skin!

Another crucial thing for beautiful skin during the colder months is exfoliating.  I like to use a face cleansing brush like a Clarisonic to remove makeup, dirt, and dead dry skin.  

I also recommend using an exfoliating mask like this Skin Food Black Sugar Mask Wash Off I reviewed in a past post.


In terms of how often you use a cleansing brush and exfoliating mask, you should tailor it to your skin's needs and sensitivities.  Some people use their Clarisonic brush every day; some only 3 times a week. 

During the cold, dry season, I also switch to a more heavy moisturizer. I've been loving this Mizon Returning Starfish Cream!  The true test came when I used it on a flight.  You know how that plane air dries up your skin!  I came off the flight looking hydrated and healthy!  It was also my go-to moisturizer when my skin got irritated recently.  This cream was soothing and helped clear up the redness.




I'm not big into self-tanners, so I cheat with illuminators, bronzer, and blush to get some color on my face! 


Clockwise from Hoola:



Yes, me taking a pic in a winter coat proves that it's cold here. No, it's not real fur.

I'm right there with you guys. Let's fight that dull, dry skin! I'll keep that in mind when I start falling asleep without washing my face. Guilty of this! Two nights ago, I threw myself onto the bed facedown (on my husband's laid out suit apparently; he was not happy) and passed out while mumbling about how cool the sheets were. Dirty face and no night cream! Sacre bleu!!

I hope you're enjoying this season with all the fun it brings: fall foliage (deadlooking trees here in NYC), cute boots, hot cider, and those crazy Starbucks flavors (Chestnut Praline?) served in the controversial red cups.

xo,

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment