Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Evolution of My Curls

I've always had hair issues. Ask anyone who knew me back in high school and college.  It was a giant bush of long pubic hair on my head.  (Oh, that I will save for another post!)

Yet, I had hope when I saw other Asian girlfriends of mine using curling irons to get those beautiful tousled beach waves.  One of those friends was Erin.  She also happened to be the awesome girl who inspired my move from LA to NYC in 2009 to start my acting career.  Yup, we moved together into our Murray Hill apartment.  

Of course, if you want to start your acting career, you have to get your headshots.  Within a month, I was using Erin's curling iron to create these horrible curls for my very first headshots.


WHY?

Why didn't I even TRY to separate the curls??? It looks like my hair is literally made up of two giant curls.  Almost like two curly pigtails. Ugh.
Things got a little better after I bought my own curling iron back in April 2011. It is the
Hot Tools Professional 1110 Curling Iron with Multi-Heat Control mega 1-1/4".  At $29, it is very affordable.  I still use it and love it!  I haven't had any issues with it at all. And on many sets, this brand of curling irons is the one I see frequently used by hair stylists.


March 2012



July 2012:  Meh, I should have definitely put a brush or my fingers to it. 



This year: 



Dirty Mirror


Yup, I still have my good and bad days using my curling iron. But overall, I am so happy that I took the time to familiarize myself with my Hot Tool.  People come up to compliment me on my curls (this gay guy on the train just stared at my hair and asked to touch it: "GORG"), and before the era of my curling iron, the closest to a flattering comment was, "Your hair is very THICK." But usually, it was, "Please do something about your hair."

I highly recommend the Hot Tools iron that I use. Recently, my friend Thuy tried her new curling iron on my hair, and I loved the results.  It is an Enzo Milano curling wand.

Thuy curled my hair while I was watching American Horror Story for the first time.  I got a bit obsessed.  I don't think I even noticed her doing my hair.


I have a couple of wands I'd be willing to try besides the Enzo Milano one:

image via amazon.com



image via amazon.com


I am terrified of the ones where your hair goes into some contraption and comes out curled.  Can you imagine what a malfunction would do to your hair??


What are your favorite tools for curling your hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment