Monday, July 30, 2012

Dermablend Review

I had an audition where they wanted to see feet.  I have two star tattoos on my right foot that I wanted to cover up, and my agent's assistant raved to me about a product called Dermablend.

Macy's is a great place to test out Dermablend; the counter has a salesperson who can help you apply it and pick out the correct shades.

My agent's assistant was talking specifically about the Dermablend Leg & Body Cover, which is $27 at Macy's.  I also ended up buying the Leg & Body Tattoo Primer ($25) and the Setting Powder ($23).




The saleslady I worked with told me to put on the primer first, then set that with the powder, layer on the cover, and then also set that with the powder.

I was in a rush at the store, and I just wanted to make sure that it worked.  So I did a sloppy test on the colors (I had to modify what the saleslady picked because it was too dark) and just made sure that the tattoo actually got camouflaged completely.

Little did I know that getting it to look really good actually takes some practice!

I had to do that whole process of layering the various products a couple of times to get it to look decent.  I used concealer brushes to apply the primer and cover, and through trial and error, I realized that instead of coloring in the tattoo edges exactly, it was better for me to just cover a bigger area around the tattoo and blend into the skin.  My biggest frustration was having one brush stroke place the cover or primer right where I wanted it, and then the next brush stroke wiping part of it off.  You really just learn what works as you go.

Before

After


Here's another one:

At least my vein isn't protruding in this one


I think it turned out pretty well.  Like I said, it took me a while to get it to look this way.  I am hoping to cut my time from half an hour to 5 minutes.

Here are quick descriptions of the products:

Leg and Body Tattoo Primer
*good for heavy ink tattoos and major imperfections
*improves the laydown & application of the Leg and Body Cover
*water, transfer, and smudge resistant
*12 hours of wear

Leg and Body Cover
*lightweight formula to cover moderate to major body skin flaws: tattoos, stretch marks, varicose veins, spider veins, bruises, scars, burns
*transfer and smudge resistant
*SPF 15 sunscreen

Setting Powder
*ensures smudge-resistance fo Dermablend Cover Creme and Smooth Indulgence up to 16 hours
*transparent upon application


If you can only get one thing to cover up a tattoo, I would actually get the primer.  It is essential especially for dark tattoos.  The cover is less thick and wouldn't do the trick.  The powder is magical. It seems to be the thing that evens out the uncovered skin with the covered skin.  And if you can afford it, get all three for the best results.

Let me know if you've tried this or other products.

I am still dying to know what this product Jeannie Mai uses to cover her tattoos in this video at 0:20.




No comments:

Post a Comment