Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Rise of Asian Models



When I was growing up, the only Asian female face out in the media was Connie Chung.  No offense to Connie Chung, but she was more like a mom figure.  

Mom chic
source

I didn't see young Asian women on TV or magazines.  I think the closest person to Asian at the time was Phoebe Cates, who is part Filipina.  But she doesn't have eyes like me.  And I'm pretty sure I thought she was Mexican.  I'll admit that I wasn't a bright child.

source

Phoebe's face is so darling. Do you remember her in Gremlins?
source

Looking for Asians on TV was hard enough.  And models...I certainly didn't remember any Asian models during my childhood.  The thing is, I really tried to identify with my Asian-ness.  I bought the Barbie and the Rocker Asian band mate even though her makeup was prostitute-y.  I guess all the Rockers had crazy makeup, but the Asian one looked especially scandalous.

source

So I'm really excited that there has been an increase in the presence of Asian women in the media.  I feel that a noticeable place that Asian women were not making major gains was in the modeling world.  That may sound super silly...to care about Asian representation in such a superficial industry. But at the same time, it is nice to know that Asian beauty is starting to be embraced...and command attention.

Liu Wen just became the first Asian model to make it to Forbes' list of Top 10 Highest Paid Models.  This Chinese model's sittin' pretty with some major names, such as Gisele Bundchen (who was number 1 for the 7th consecutive year), Adriana Lima, and Kate Moss. You have probably seen Liu Wen in numerous ads that are part of the Estee Lauder campaign.

Her FAT contract with Estee Lauder helped her rake in a not-too-shabby $4.3 million in earnings last year.  She was the cosmetic line's first Asian spokesmodel.
source

Liu was also the first model of Asian descent to walk the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. So many firsts! Congrats, Liu!
source


In addition to Liu Wen, I've noticed several Asian models gracing the pages of fashion magazines.


source

With her trademark platinum hair, Soo Joo Park goes against the traditional Asian look.  But that's ok with her.  She doesn't want to be typecast as an Asian model.  It's working for her, because designers such as Karl Lagerfeld and Tom Ford count themselves as fans.  I totally get her desire to avoid being typecast, but this CA-raised Korean girl's definitely representing!


source


source




Sui He was the first Asian spokesperson for Shiseido. 



Sui was also the first Asian model to open for a Ralph Lauren runway show and the second Asian model to walk the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. She is like a chameleon in these photos.  Many people think she is of mixed race, but she is Chinese.

source




source



Watch out for these other gals!




Shu Pei
source
Tao Okamoto
source


Fei Fei Sun



I'm loving the Asian Invasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment