Monday, January 20, 2014

Everyone Loves Lupita Nyong'o and Jennifer Lawrence Talks about Her Armpit Vaginas

I was so thrilled that Lupita Nyong'o won the SAG Award for Best Supporting Actress!  I voted for her, and I believe she totally deserved the honor.  


In a previous post, I had written about the Q+A's I attended for the possible SAG nominees.  I completely forgot to write about the 12 Years a Slave Q+A with the eloquent Lupita! I have no idea why.  That movie tore me to bits emotionally. I felt livid, devastated, sorrowful...the entire gamut of feelings. It was a roller coaster ride, and Nyong'o was amazing.


This talented young lady auditioned for the role of Patsey even before she graduated from the prestigious Yale School of Drama. It was the FIRST script she got through her manager, and Nyong'o obviously killed it!  She said that the audition included the whipping scene.  The casting director was like, "Just warning you. I'm going to say and do things that may be uncomfortable." Can you imagine doing that painful (literally and figuratively) scene for the audition?  

Then Lupita spoke about how Steve McQueen himself called her up to break the good news of getting the part.  Of course, she about died.  She immediately went into research mode and worked on her character. When asked about preparing for the part, Lupita sounded so secure.  She said that Yale trained her well.  She just wanted to make sure she didn't fall into the trap of feeling sorry for Patsey.  Which was definitely the key in avoiding self-indulgence with the role. 

source
It was Lupita's own idea to have Patsey make the corn husk dolls.  Lupita thought about the surroundings on the fields and could see Patsey during her only free time, escaping to a happy place with those dolls. Nyong'o looked online to see if corn husk dolls were indeed something made back during that time.  She confirmed they were appropriate for that period, and when the suggestion was brought up to director McQueen, he loved it!

It was also Lupita's own touch to lift her pinkie up in the air during the tea time scene with Mistress Shaw.  She showed the impressionable Patsey copying the class that Mistress Shaw seemed to exude.
source

Lupita Nyong'o shared many intense scenes with Michael Fassbender.  She said that she didn't notice this at first, but Fassbender and she had created a ritual of sorts.  Looking into each other's eyes and holding hands before the scenes and a hug after them.  If you've watched the movie, you know that Fassbender's character does not exactly treat Nyong'o's character very nicely.   

Everything that came out of Lupita's mouth was so intelligent, humble, and thoughtful.  And when I describe it as "thoughtful", she just seems like the type of person who really weighs things out in her mind before speaking.  She is beautiful inside and out.  
Ah! Did you see her on the Red Carpet? The Best Supporting Actress winner stunned in a vibrant turquoise Gucci dress. I can't get over her sculpted arms.


Apparently, I'm not the only one who loves her. Emma Thompson was ecstatic to be in Lupita's photo.
image via Reuters



Jennifer Lawrence was excited to see her, too.
image via Getty Images



While we're on the topic of the SAG Awards Red Carpet, let's go into the fashion.

Blue was a popular choice for this event.
image via US Magazine
Anna Gunn in a midnight blue Monique Lhuillier dress



Her clutch was an ode to Breaking Bad. Designed by Brett Heyman



image via Getty Images
Amy Adams looking gorgeous in a royal blue Antonio Berardi gown.


image via Just Jared
I've always thought Morena Baccarin was lovely.  She looked like a goddess in the ethereal layers of this blue Monique Lhuillier gown. 


Many other actresses opted for blue in various shades.
Ariel Winter, Jennifer Garner, Kelly Osbourne, Kathy Griffin, Mindy Kaling




image via Getty
American Hustle star Jennifer Lawrence wore what was supposedly a navy Dior dress.  But it was so sparkly, it looked like it was made of a multitude of colors.  The design would have been perfect for her character Lawrence played in the David O. Russell film.  

When asked on the Red Carpet about her dress, Jennifer stated, "I know I have arm pit fat, it's OK...it's armpit vaginas." Oh my God.  This is why I adore her. She tells it like it is.  Do you know how many times I've worn something strapless and frowned upon my armpit vaginas? A lot. 



A lot of people seemed to love the bump-baring Red Carpet rule-breaker look of Kerry Washington.  But I wasn't really feeling the Prada ensemble.  What do you think?
source


source
Cate Blanchett's face looked radiant and young on the Red Carpet (must be that SKII!). Her Givenchy outfit placed her on many Best Dressed lists.  However, I did not find the design to be flattering.  It reminded me of the dreadful handkerchief top trend. Remember that? I was a victim to the craze. 



All I gotta say is...
Abigail Breslin looks like a WOMAN. I can't believe she is only 17 years old.  I get she's not the cute little girl from Little Miss Sunshine anymore, but she looked totally different from her recent character on August: Osage County. With her big, upswept hair and glitzy Chagoury dress, she reminded me of a ritzy country singer.


Another goddess-look came from Hannah Simone and her heavenly Marchesa gown. 



I think my favorite dress was Elizabeth Rohm's blush Marchesa dress. It's divine! I can just imagine how unforgiving it'd be though...I'd be terrified of every fleshy part of my body showing through the material. 

I'm such a sucker for romantic looks!


What were your favorite Red Carpet looks?  Were you as excited as I was for Lupita Nyong'o's win?

No comments:

Post a Comment